High Fiber Foods are Good For Your Mood and 5 Other Things
Eat High Fiber Foods for a Happy, Healthy Life
by Cliff Smith
Eating high fiber foods may sound about as exciting as chewing on carpet, but if that can really make you feel better then it might be just the mood boost you need.
Here are 5 ways that high fiber foods can help you to be healthy and happy.
1. High fiber foods contain some of the most valuable nutrients at the lowest cost. Beans, for instance, provide vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium, Vitamin C and folate (which is especially good for pregnancy nutrition). Add in several grams of fiber per serving and these high fiber foods are worth their weight in green.
2. High Fiber foods are easier on the digestive system. If you’re not accustomed to eating much fiber it may take a while to ease into it. However, consuming at least 25 grams of fiber each day usually makes things smoother as food moves through your intestines without pressure. The fiber absorbs lots of water and makes stools softer, which can help relieve constipation and/or hemorrhoids.
3. High fiber foods, especially those rich in soluble fiber, provide a way to achieve natural weight loss without diet programs or pills. You see, soluble fiber regulates metabolism and digestion, and helps to stabilize normal blood sugar levels. Foods high in fiber also make you feel full, but they usually contain fewer calories than other choices on the menu. It is important to note that high fiber foods have proven to be very useful in calorie reduction for humans. So, loading up on high fiber foods instead of junk foods will give you the gift of natural weight loss. The combination of normal blood sugar with less weight is a life changing, mood boosting experience that everyone can enjoy!
4. Soluble fiber foods such as oats, rye and barley are known to have a positive effect on lowering total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol (the bad kind).
In “You, the Owner’s Manual” by Dr. Mehmet Oz, M.D. he refers to one study which “…showed that a 10-gram increase in the daily intake of fiber decreases the risk of heart attack by 29 percent…”
5. Eating high fiber foods makes for smooth moves. When discussing fiber it always seems to come down to the fecal frequency. Of course, don’t you feel happier when you go to the bathroom and you’re not straining to eliminate? Let’s face it, no one wants to die on the toilet like Elvis, with their pants around their ankles and a heart attack from too much straining. It’s not a pretty picture.
If you consume the recommended 25-35 grams of high fiber foods each day, you will be so regular you'll be able to set your watch by the time of your bowel movements. They’ll be right on schedule, like a banker making the daily deposits, and you’ll feel rich and happy. Ok, maybe it’s not a pretty picture, but those are the cold, hard, high fiber food facts.
Author Profile - As one of the owners of BestHealthFoodStore.net, the online health food store for whole foods and health drinks, Cliff Smith helps people achieve natural weight loss and optimum fitness. He offers a wealth of free resources for visitors to learn more about high fiber foods and fiber supplements.